Thursday, 20 December 2007
Kinclaven Perthshire Scotland
Kinclaven, Perthshire, Scotland, lies in a bend of the River Tay opposite its confluence with the River Isla, ten miles north of Perth. The parish church was rebuilt in 1848. Tour Kinclaven, Perthshire, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland. Rent a Cottage in Scotland. Kinclaven in 1846. Kinclaven, a parish, in the county of Perth, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Blairgowrie; containing 880 inhabitants. This place, of which the name, of Celtic origin, is descriptive of the situation of its church, is bounded on the north by the river Tay, which separates it from Caputh; and on the east and south by the same river, which divides it from the parish of Cargill. It is about five miles in length and two miles in average breadth, comprising an area of ten square miles. The ancient castle, now in ruins, is said to have been built by Malcolm Canmore, and to have been for many centuries an occasional residence of the kings of Scotland, from which several of their charters are dated. During the wars that arose, from the contested succession to the throne, between Bruce and Baliol, the castle was occupied by an English garrison, which, being at an unguarded moment surprised by Sir William Wallace, was taken and dismantled so far as to render it no longer tenable as a place of strength. It is the property of Baroness Keith, who pays to the Duke of Atholl, annually, a small sum as its hereditary constable. The parish comprises about 6400 acres, of which 3900 are arable, 1500 woodland and plantations, 800 moorland pasture, and the remainder moss, water, and waste. The surface is broken by an elevated ridge, extending across the centre of the parish from north-east to southwest, and from which the lands slope in a gentle declivity to the Tay on the north and south. The scenery, enlivened by the windings of the Tay, and enriched with woods and plantations, has a very pleasing appearance. The river Isla, descending from the lower Grampian range, flows through the vale of Strathmore, and falls into the Tay at the eastern extremity of the parish; and there are several small lakes, in which pike, perch, and eels of large size are found.
The soil, though various, is generally fertile, producing good crops of wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and potatoes, of which last great quantities are raised for the London market. The state of agriculture is much improved; the rotation plan of husbandry is in use, and carefully adapted to the different soils. The lands have been well drained; several tracts of moorland have been brought into profitable cultivation, and the various farm-buildings are substantial and commodious, and some of them highly ornamental. The cattle are of a mixed breed, and great attention is paid to their improvement; Ayrshire cows, and bulls of the Teeswater breed, have been introduced; and the horses, previously of small size, are now improved by the introduction of the Clydesdale breed. The plantations are chiefly larch and common fir, of which, however, the former are not in a very thriving state; and there are numerous coppices of oak, which are generally felled when they have attained twenty-five years' growth. The rateable annual value of the parish is £4537. There were formerly several small villages, of which at present the sites are only to be distinguished by some of the ancient trees yet standing. The village of Arntully (which see), though much reduced in extent and population, is still remaining. The roads from the ferries at Caputh, Kinclaven, and others over the Tay, intersect the parish, and afford facilities of communication; the post-town is Perth, to which, and also to Dunkeld, a sub-office has been established at Stanley. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Dunkeld and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is £276. 11. 5., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £18 per annum; patrons, the family of Richardson. The church, inconveniently situated at the eastern extremity of the parish, contains 320 sittings, all of which are free; at the east end is a large monument to the memory of Alexander Campbell, Bishop of Brechin, who is styled "Laird of Kerco, in this parish," and who died in 1608. The church is in a very indifferent state of repair; and it is expected that another will be soon built on a more convenient site. There is a place of worship for members of the United Secession. The parochial school is attended by about sixty children; the master has a salary of £34, with a good house and garden, and the fees, &c., average £24 per annum. There is also a school in connexion with the Seceding congregation, supported by subscription.